|Module name (EN): Foreign Language: English II|
|Degree programme: Industrial Engineering, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2007|
|Module code: WIBAS-240E|
|Hours per semester week / Teaching method: 2U (2 hours per week)|
|ECTS credits: 2|
|Mandatory course: yes|
|Language of instruction:
|Applicability / Curricular relevance:
WIBAS-240E Industrial Engineering, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2007, semester 2, mandatory course
30 class hours (= 22.5 clock hours) over a 15-week period.
The total student study time is 60 hours (equivalent to 2 ECTS credits).
There are therefore 37.5 hours available for class preparation and follow-up work and exam preparation.
|Recommended prerequisites (modules):
|Recommended as prerequisite for:
Prof. Dr. Thomas Tinnefeld
Corinna Huth (exercise)
After successfully completing this module, students will be able to communicate properly in American English during conversations, such as those that arise during the course of a business trip or when attending a business meeting. They will have mastered the basic grammatical structures required for this and the thematically limited general or technical vocabulary.
Students will be able to write a resume and cover letter in English. They will also be familiar with the forms and central topics of modern international commercial correspondence.
Business communication (oral)
• Travel arrangements
• Arrivals and introductions
• Talking about work and asking for information
• Making appointments and entertaining visitors
Business communication (written)
• CV and application
• Acknowledgement of enquiry/offer
• Complaint and adjustment
• Business documents
Computers, sildes and the blackboard will be used in this module. The following video courses will be used: Past and Present of a Global Player (EUROKEY Software GmbH), TechnoPlus Englisch (EUROKEY Software GmbH) and Video Conference (Heineman).
|Recommended or required reading:
• Abegg, Birgit / Benford Michael: Communication for Business.
• Baddock, Barry / Messerschmidt, Horst / Rüffin, Ulrich: Trademark.
• Bosewitz, René / Kleinschroth, Robert: Joke by Joke to Conversation.
• Bowen, Tim: Build Your Business Grammar.
• Geddes, Marion / Sturtridge, G. / Been, S.: Advanced Conversation
• Ladousse, Gillian P.: Speaking Personally
• Rosenberg, Marjorie: Communicative Business Activities.
• Language magazine: Business Spotlight (up from 2002).
• Zürl, Karl-Heinz: Modern Business English for Industrial Engineers.
[Wed Dec 8 20:21:00 CET 2021, CKEY=wi240E, BKEY=wi, CID=WIBAS-240E, LANGUAGE=en, DATE=08.12.2021]