|Module name (EN): Introduction to Wireless LANs|
|Degree programme: Computer Science and Communication Systems, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2017|
|Module code: KIB-WLAN|
|Hours per semester week / Teaching method: 2V (2 hours per week)|
|ECTS credits: 3|
|Mandatory course: no|
|Language of instruction:
Written exam (90 min.)
E2428 Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2018, optional course, technical
KI632 Computer Science and Communication Systems, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2014, semester 6, optional course, technical
KIB-WLAN Computer Science and Communication Systems, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2017, semester 6, optional course, technical
PIBWI20 Applied Informatics, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2011, semester 6, optional course, informatics specific
PIB-WLAN Applied Informatics, Bachelor, ASPO 01.10.2017, semester 4, optional course, informatics specific
30 class hours (= 22.5 clock hours) over a 15-week period.
The total student study time is 90 hours (equivalent to 3 ECTS credits).
There are therefore 67.5 hours available for class preparation and follow-up work and exam preparation.
|Recommended prerequisites (modules):
|Recommended as prerequisite for:
Dipl.-Math. Wolfgang Braun
|Lecturer: Dipl.-Math. Wolfgang Braun
After successfully completing this module, students will have a basic understanding of the
terms and relationships required for the use of WLAN in communications technology.
- They will be able to explain the basic concepts of WLAN technologies according to the standard 802.11
- They will be able to use the formulas from telecommunications engineering discussed in the lecture to solve problems
in the field of WLAN.
- Students will know how to set up secure WLAN environments
- They will be able to explain basic procedures for planning, installing, configuring
(functionality, security) and monitoring WLAN systems
- And they will be able to design simple WLAN applications
- Basic functionality according to the IEEE 802.11 standard
- Typical areas of application and reasons for use
- Basic knowledge about electromagnetic waves (modulation, attenuation,
antenna gain, free space path loss,...)
- Practical exercises on the propagation of electromagnetic waves
- Problems with use and negative aspects
- The technologies of the WLAN standard 802.11
- Presentation of a current system with practical experiments
- Security in WLANs
- Planning and monitoring WLANs with a presentation of the software used for this purpose
- Examples of use
- Evaluation criteria for WLAN systems
Lecture using PowerPoint slides and worksheets. Practical experiments with standard WLAN hardware and home-made antennas.
|Recommended or required reading:
PowerPoint slides will be available to the students.
Rech, J. : Wireless LANs Heise-Verlag, 4. Auflage, Hannover 2012, ISBN 978-3-936931-75-4
Kauffels, F.-J. : Moderne Wireless-Technologien, Technologiereport der Firma ComConsult, 2012
|Module offered in: |
SS 2021, WS 2020/21, SS 2020, WS 2019/20
[Wed Apr 21 22:30:09 CEST 2021, CKEY=wlan, BKEY=ki2, CID=KIB-WLAN, LANGUAGE=en, DATE=21.04.2021]